Translate localized error messages from .NET, SQL and Windows – FindErr.NET

A quite common situation: a rintime error with a harder to understand message (or not).
Looking on the various search engines, it’s easy to find solutions, resources, examples.

In many cases, however, the messages are in another language, and often the translation does not match with the original message. Looking for the message on the search engines, you do not find much information and sometimes you can not find material that help to solve the problem.

The solution comes from a very brilliant site:
Translate localized error messages from .NET, SQL and Windows – FindErr.NET
.

In addition to having a browsable catalog by subject and alphabetically, also has an internal search that presents the result in 22 specific language (Arabic, Czech, Danish, German, Greek, Spanish, Finnish, French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional) with its translation into English and a ready link for google.

Well, we have to create a shortcut on our desktop!!

ASP.NET ScriptManager Error: this._forum is not a object

I happened a few times to receive this error on an ASP.NET page that contains a ScriptManager and a link to a JavaScript file inside the Head tag on the page, like this:

[...]
<head runat="server">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="../Scripts/barcode.js" />
</head>
<body>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />
    <div>
    [...]

Apparently the code is without errors, but running the page in debug mode, you receive an error like this:

Microsoft Javascript: object needed

Microsoft Javascript: object needed

By clicking on the button “Stop”, I’m going to try to understand what might have happened, and I realize that the object “_form” of the page does not exist, or is “null”

this._form is NULL

this._form is NULL

Needless to tell you how long I spent trying to figure out what could have happened, and where could be a possible error, of course without success.

After a meticulous search on the internet, I finally found an article that enlightened and saved me .
It seems to be a small bug of ScriptManager object, which misinterprets the tag <script /> without explicit locking.

It was sufficient change the tag and use the canonical syntax to solve it all:

<head runat="server">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="../Scripts/barcode.js" >
    </script>
</head>

End of the ordeal.